Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Mary Taylor Interview: The interview that almost wasn't


Mary Taylor is a busy woman and tracking her down to do an interview wasn't easy but it’s worth the wait. 

The interview was scheduled on three different occasions, but because Ms. Taylor has a lot on her plate it didn't happen. When i was out helping my teammate, Stacey, shoot her package it hit me! Call Ms. Taylor to try and set up the interview on Sunday while in possession of a camera. Boom! She agreed and the interview was on. It only took three weeks but as you'll find out it was worth the wait. 

I want to thank my teammate Stacey for allowing me to "steal" the camera from her. Teamwork at it's best. 

I spent two and half-hours with Ms. Taylor at her home on Aurora's east side. I walked upstairs to the living room and I didn't know if I was in a house or a photo gallery. There were pictures everywhere! The living room was decked out with family pictures and award certificates of Jamario Taylor. 

The picture not pictured on the walls was the one where she had to give up her two youngest children to a foster home because she was going into rehab to get clean from crack. 

She was on crack while pregnant with Jermaine "5" and Jamario "6". 

"I was using 500$ worth of crack a day while I was pregnant with "5" but I craved it more with"6" because I was using 800$ worth of crack."

She was in rehab for a "little over a year" as she says. She has been clean from crack for 22. Ever since she got out of rehab she has been trying to help others stay clean and improve the community. She has done this all while being a single mom and raising her six children. 

         Ms. Taylor saved, one of, if not the best sound bites for last.

"I just really thank God for him being in our life because he has a purpose. This is a miracle kid, when you think back on it he shouldn't have been here the way things were falling for us." 

Ms. Taylor is kind-hearted lady who loves to help everyone especially “young adults” as she calls them. She has some advice for you. 

“Never give up on your dreams and goals. Set your goals and your standards high above and reach for them. Don’t let anything or anything make you think that you’re not worth or you’re not able to accomplish anything that’s in your heart.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment