Monday, March 4, 2013

Dennis Rodman Causes Controversy With North Korean Trip

Ex Bulls player, Dennis Rodman, has seen his fair share of attention from the media. Back from his NBA days to his crazy hair styles, he's no rookie to this attention. However, this time, he's making headlines as a result of his controversial trip to North Korea.

Rodman went to North Korea to film a HBO documentary with the Harlem Globetrotters. He was greeted by North Korean leader, Kim Jong Un, who then proceeded to watch an exhibition basketball game with him in Pyongyang. 

But it seems Rodman didn't come home empty handed. He had a message from Kim to President Obama: Call me. 

When Stephanopoulos asked Rodman if he all Kim wanted was a phone call from President Obama, he responded saying, "That's right. He told me that. He said, 'If you can, Dennis, I don't want to do war. I don't want to do war.' He said that to me"(The Washington Post). 

Rodman, who is now back home, went on "This Week With George Stephanopoulos" to talk about his "new friend" Kim saying:" "I love the guy. He's awesome. He's so honest"(The Washington Post). 

This sparked controversy with those who are angry with Rodman's praise of Kim while there are others who believe that this could be a good start to get the two countries to talk.  

Rodman is actually the highest profile American to meet Kim since he took over in 2011 after his father's death. Former Fighter Pilot and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State, Col. Stephen Ganyard, said that, "There is nobody at the CIA who can tell you more personally about Kim Jong Un than Dennis Rodman. And that in itself is scary"(ABC News). 

It is scary. But since it's true, I think in some ways, it can be seen as a positive thing. I don't love the fact that Rodman is crazy about him because at the end of the day, he is still a dictator. But, what I will say is that I do like the fact that Rodman has opened up a line of communication between the two countries. 

All this anger and hate that's circling around, trust me, I get it. It's a bizarre situation, but let's not kill the messenger. Maybe this could be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment