Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Forbes List Jay Cutler As One of Most Disliked Athletes

This year's Forbes' list for "America's Most Disliked Athletes," sparked controversy among many fans and sports writers when our very own Bears' quarterback, Jay Cutler, ranked in at fourth. 

Really, America? Fourth?

But before I get into that, let's review the others who made the cut.

Ranking first, in almost a virtual tie with Manti Te'o, was Lance Armstrong. 

Considering what Lance Armstrong has done by lying, cheating and deceiving the public, I'd say, number one has never looked better.

Then there's Notre Dame linebacker and Heisman trophy runner-up, Manti Te'o who ranked in at second. Now this one, I do have a problem with. I can understand the anger and disappointment fans must have felt the moment Deadspin ran the story of his girlfriend being a hoax. I get it...But after doing some research and finally meeting the man behind it all, how can all of the anger towards Te'o still be there? I think it's easy for us to judge him and say that had we been in that situation, we would do things differently. But can we really be sure about that? 

Ranking third, is Tiger Woods. I think this one is pretty self-explanatory. Let's just say, he gave "hole in one" a new meaning. 

And fourth is Jay Cutler. Out of all of the other athletes out there, Cutler is fourth. Makes no sense to me. Cutler is ranked higher than Metta World Peace, Alex Rodriguez, Mike Vick, Kurt Busch, Kobe Bryant and Tony Romo. 

Just looking at the facts, it makes no sense that Cutler is more disliked than Vick, who was indicted over dog fighting. 

Cutler was crushed by the fans and the media after pulling himself from the 2011 playoff game for being a "softie," but can we move past that and look at what he did in 2012 with the kind of offensive line he has? 

Did people miss the game where Cutler tied left tackle J'Marcus Webb's shoe after a play? He told ESPNChicago.com after the game, "I loosened it and tied it. I guess my fatherly instincts are kicking in a little bit." I mean, come on. That's like father of the year material.

I'd like to know if Tom Brady would ever do the same. That's the better question. 


                                                 (Picture via BearsBacker.com)

Chicago Tribune's Steve Rosenbloom expressed his thoughts on Cutler stating, "Seriously, America? Cutler is disliked more than every active athlete except Lance Armstrong, Manti Te'o and Tiger Woods? Cutler is bunched with a fake cyclist, a guy with a fake dead girlfriend and a fake athlete who's really good at the hobby we call golf?" (Chicago Tribune)

Cutler may have been in trouble with fans and the media in the past, but I think he's done enough to regain people's respect. 

And after all, thanks to backup quarterback, Jason Campbell, I think we've seen just about how important Cutler is to the team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment